Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sometimes I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, hate my job.

Being a trailer editor is a really great, fun and challenging job. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do. Using music combined with picture to create moments is a passion of mine. When I was in film school, I wanted to edit music videos, but I think this is actually better.

Here's the part of my job that I hate though. I hate that I can't tell anyone what I'm working on and that we basically get no recognition for it. When people hear what I do they invariably ask "Oh! So I'll see your name in the credits?" Uh...yea, no. See, motion picture advertising doesn't have credits.....anywhere. In fact, some of our clients ask that we (editors) not display their trailers or tv spots.....anywhere. Sorry folks, but I need to have a reel to show potential employers so you got to suck it up on that one. But still it stinks that I can't even TELL people what exciting things I am doing so when it comes out I can say "Remember all those weeks I worked on that? Well there it is!"

I also hate that you get to know different people in the industry involved in the projects you work on and you can't even say to them "I loved the costumes you made" or "Your dancing was amazing and you always stuck out in the group dances". Well actually, I COULD share my thoughts with people that worked on the projects at the production level and friends and family.....if I want to lose my job and be black listed from the industry.

It really sucks because although I don't do this job for the recognition, it sure would be nice to be able to share it with people and also shower some recognition on others that worked on it. But instead, we have to all act like we don't know each other.

I just feel so restricted and held down. I'm having so much fun with this latest project, but I can't........tell.........anyone. So instead I get so frustrated that I almost get mad at the project. The best part is that the movie isn't coming out for SEVERAL months so I have to keep mum. Its like being put in a straight jacket with a gag. After a while you get so irritated that you'd dislocate your shoulders just to get out of it!

But..........I guess...........in the end..........an out of work film editor with dislocated shoulders would be no bueno.

*sigh*

So I'll soldier on saying nothing.

Stinks.

No comments: