Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Ouch.....my aching head.

I have a headache today. Its at the base of my skull and all day I have been trying to figure out what is causing it. I'm not stressed at work because my boss is off hiking the Great Wall of China. Its not allergies because I have been breathing freely for the first time in months. Its not from chewing too much gum, because I have cut back since all that maltitol and sorbitol can give you the winds something fierce! All the usual suspects have been ruled out.

Then, as I am reaching for my head to touch the affected areas again, it dawns on me....headband. Not the 1980's Olivia Newton-John type, the 1960's Jackie-O, Polly the Preppy type. Those wide ones with the maddening grip, just behind the ears. Since my hair is leftover 'beach hair' from the weekend, I've had to get creative. Short of an Ed Hardy hat, that will probably be Friday if I can hang on that long, I have employed various styles of updos and ponytails, all in an attempt to make my hair appear....well, clean. It actually IS clean, it just had that light dusting of salty sea air that gives it that extra.....well, oily look. Baby powder and a headband are my friends, just not today.


Enough of that. The fun of the week is that the building across from me is about to be torn down. I live on a small alley street in Hermosa Beach, where the speed limit is 15 mph and I will sit out there on the weekends enforcing it! Oh if only I had a spike strip! The problem is that we have elderly, kids and people with pets on our street. Not to mention, you step out my door and you are ON the street....no sidewalks. And now with this building coming down, we will endure fourteen months of waking to jackhammers, diesel trucks and other audible cues that something is first coming down and then going up. Ah, just how I wanted to spend my summer. Where is the Extreme Home Makeover team when you need them!?!

The worst part is that I may be losing my neighbors Karen and Stan.....yes, the ones with the opium couch. I love those two and they are the best to get into mischief with, as well as patrolling the alley for 'evildoers'! (There are WMD's hidden somewhere! I'm sure the Bush would back me up on this assessment!) Karen works from home and she will lose her mind if she sits through all this at her doorstep. For me, its across the street and I go off to work, but for her it is 8 feet from her front door. Sucks. Already we've had the gas company out to disconnect the gas line and they jackhammered while blocking my garage with their huge truck when I came home from the gym yesterday morning. When I was trying to figure out where to put my car, the guy acted put out and annoyed but waited till we were all of 10 feet from him to start jackhammering again. "HEY JACK@$$! WE DON'T HAVE EARPLUGS AND I ACTUALLY NEED TO HEAR IN MY PROFESSION!!!" I was grumpy yesterday.....really grumpy. I ran into Karen as I drove off to work and she asked me to keep an eye out for apartments for them and since I was grumpy, I said "Hell no! I'm not gonna help you guys leave the neighborhood!" Selfish, I know, but I did mention I was grumpy. (sniff)

Peanut had PT today (acupuncture) so I ran him across the street to drop him off. If anyone knows LA, they know Olympic Blvd is a speedway. People should have numbers on the sides of their cars because I swear they think they are in a Nascar race. Nothing like playing a little real life Frogger to keep you on your toes! Peanut loves it at the PT office. He doesn't mind being poked or bent like a pretzel because he gets treats. Endless treats. Its the equivalent to doggie heaven, the treats are plentiful and often, so he's like "Mom who?" when I leave him. Good, it gives me an hour of not having a warm chihuahua tucked under my arm EVERYWHERE I go.....even the bathroom! If I don't bring him into the bathroom, when I come out he will look at me and pee right where he is standing. He's smart. Now, if I could only get him to do the dishes or pay my taxes.


No comments: